 Robotics / NXT / 689
  Classroom experiments gone awry

Imagine a classroom with eight 13-year old boys, paired up with a laptop and the standard NXT Edu robot. The 9x9 inch floor tiles made perfect for a little experiment in derivation. Starting at a fixed point and heading, each team marked where the (...) (17 years ago, 26-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  RE: Classroom experiments gone awry

I'm having trouble understanding the meaning of your results. What do the percentages mean? I'd also just like to check that you used the "run for 10 rotations" as duration with "next action" indicated as stop. What speed did you use for the (...) (17 years ago, 26-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Classroom experiments gone awry

(...) What do you mean by "dominant" here? And what is a "tick" on the steering slider equal to? I've done something similar to figure out the behavior with respect to the position of the steering slider, but this is a *great* place to introduce the (...) (17 years ago, 26-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Classroom experiments gone awry

(...) I'm using terms of my own making. These are terms that seem to work with 10 - 12 year olds. By "dominant" I mean the wheel which measures the duration specified in a turn. Sometimes I use the term "outside wheel". For example, a duration of (...) (17 years ago, 28-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  RE: Classroom experiments gone awry

Your results are not at all what I intuitively expect. From your previous posts, I think the "turn ratio" settings you've used range from 0 to +100 in steps of 10. The following table is what I expected. Turn Inner Expected Observed Ratio Wheel (...) (17 years ago, 28-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Classroom experiments gone awry

(...) Steering under NXT-G is... not exactly intuitive. I tried some experiments a whle back, but I never even tried to play with the steering slider because I had no patience for rough approximations (like trying to see if I had moved the slider (...) (17 years ago, 29-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Classroom experiments gone awry

(...) I placed a dollar bill with one corner of it pinned under a chair leg. The challenge was to start from the spot and circle around the outside of the legs. Whichever team can do it in less than two tries claims the dollar. I think my dollar is (...) (17 years ago, 29-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Classroom experiments gone awry

(...) You have the NXT record it for you, perferable in a comma-delimited text file, which you can then import and open right in Excel. Your own home-grown datalog, with a data arrangement you specify. Just use file operations: (URL) other (...) (17 years ago, 29-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Classroom experiments gone awry

(...) simple NXT-G programming. Of course, it's most rewarding when the simplest of concepts creates an "Aha!" moment. It's kind of fun using artificial intelligence to bring out the real thing! (17 years ago, 29-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)