 Robotics / NXT / 530
RE: legWay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 05:21:44 GMT

Elizabeth Mabrey wrote on, February 24, 2007 10:44 AM

The Optimizer is supposed to increase the refresh rate by a lot..
Does anyone know what is the statistic on this.

I can't speak for what actually got implemented. But Robolab's 2.9.2
firmware has almost all of the same features as the RobotC firmware.
This includes the capability to customize the sensor scan rate from the
default of 3 msec. The scan rate can be set to 0.5 msec, 1 msec, 2 msec,
... up to 254.

I imagine the optimizer sets the scan rate to 0.5 msec. The most visible
value of this is that the rotation sensor is now reliable to about 1200
counts per second. It's 1200 and not the 2000 you might expect because
the 16 steps in one rotation are not linearly spaced; there's about a
60:40 ratio between the largest and smallest interval. It also has a
smarter rotation sensor filter so that the notoriously poor error
performance on the rotation sensor is improved by a couple of orders of
magnitude.

The firmware itself runs almost 100X faster than the standard LEGO RCX
firmware used in Robolab 2.5.4. This is very fast, Robolab 2.9.2
programs typically faster than an equivalent NXT-G program running on
the NXT hardware.

In Steve H's test, every 50 ms, LegWay re-calculates the balance
point by measuring the current distance and motor speed. Will the
Robolab2.9.2 be capable of doing this?

It's more than capable of this. You'll have to insert a delay as the
actual calculation time should be well below 10 msec.

As I recall, Steve's program did some 'funky' stuff to regulate the
speed. I think you'll find this much easier to do in Robolab 2.9.2 by
simply using the new 100 power levels and turning the "Brake mode for
inactive PWM" on.