 Robotics / NXT / 524
Re: Surveying MTBF of Edu NXTs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 02:33:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Edwin Pilobello wrote:

Two 6th grade girls at Ladd Acres Elementary in
Hillsboro Oregon USA, named the NXT, "OOBER" out
of the box...

The girls were looking VERY sad at this time. There
on the table, was their robot, attachment modules
dangling on their wires, and their well-cared for
"OOBER", lying dead.

I wasn't prepared for the tears.

Ouch, I understand quite well, actually*. But I agree with John, it sounds like
the NXT might be in firmware update mode. If you *haven't* already done it,
download the latest firmware (1.04), and a patch for the driver (1.02), from
LEGO's site:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/Support/Updates/

(I'm not sure if the the educational version needs the patch, but the commercial
version certainly does on rare occassions), and there are directions there for
updating the firmware as well.

--
Brian Davis

*PS: you can tell them adults have fun naming their NXTs as well. So far, Rufus,
Jennifer, Willow, Lucy, Rommie, & Eowyn.