 Robotics / NXT / 317
    Improving the firmware? —Guy Ziv
   After the release of the source code for NXT firmware version 1.04, I was wondering if anyone is considering to open a community project to create an improved firmware. I think an improved firmware which is compatible with version 1.04 opcodes (so (...) (17 years ago, 6-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —John Hansen
     (...) I am very interested in a community project to enhance the NXT standard firmware. I've submitted a few bug fixes and enhancements to LEGO already which hopefully will make it into the next official firmware release. Enhancements I plan on (...) (17 years ago, 6-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: Improving the firmware? —Matthew Jadud
      Hi all, I doubt this will go through, as I've never been able to post anything to this group yet... I know that the group of us working on the Transterpreter[1] are actively interested in collaborating on such an effort. While the kinds of (...) (17 years ago, 7-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: Improving the firmware? —Guy Ziv
     (...) These would be very nice to have, but they cannot be integrated into NXT-G unless you modify the compiler (which we can't!). NBC/NXC can benefit from such improvements, of course. I think there are many improvements which WOULD make a (...) (17 years ago, 7-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —Tony Naggs
     In article <JBFwGp.30p@lugnet.com>, Guy Ziv <guy@nxtasy.org> writes (...) I would like to be able to rebuild the firmware & experiment with it before I get too ambitious. Has anybody fixed up the code to build with the gcc tools and made it (...) (17 years ago, 8-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: Improving the firmware? —Jason J Railton
     (...) I second this. I know there are several people working on revised firmware, though I suspect they all started quite a while ago through the developer programme. I've got experience of developing for embedded systems and can make some sense of (...) (17 years ago, 8-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: Improving the firmware? —Chris Phillips
     (...) And I "third" this motion. I've started going through the "fun" process of building GCC for NXT, but don't have enough gigabytes of free space on my LEGO dev machine (under CygWin) to get all the way through the process. Although I don't think (...) (17 years ago, 13-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —David Wallace
   If anyone is still listening to suggestions, I would like to have the ability to spawn a thread. I don't know how threads are handled in NXT-G, but in NBC, there is no way to create a thread to kick off a task while moving on to other tasks in the (...) (17 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —Philippe Hurbain
   (...) I asked about the same questions some time ago, here is John's answer: (URL) (17 years ago, 23-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —David Wallace
   Thanks Philippe. You definitely asked the questions that I was thinking about and I pretty well understood the answers except I was a little puzzled by the need for "follows" as well. However, we definitely lost functionality in this area with NXT. (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        RE: Improving the firmware?
    David Wallace wrote on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:34 PM: (...) This is an opportunity for the open source community to improve the firmware. Enhanced firmware does not need to have any dependency on the LEGO or NI development teams. The challenge (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —Roger Glassey
     (...) Yes, LeJOS supports the Java Math library. (17 years ago, 26-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —Guy Ziv
     (...) Dick, I was thinking more in the direction of adding a new Module, with a IOMap that has room to set a command and several parameters, and use the ReadIOMap and WriteIOMap to set them. This may not be the fastest solution, since as you (I (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Improving the firmware? —Jason J Railton
   (...) It's a good plan, but I don't think that's the right command. If someone was calculating the position of a line to draw it may well start or end off-screen in the negative values. How about hijacking the FileOpen command, and apply URL-type (...) (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)