 Robotics / NXT / 317
316  |  318
Subject:
Improving the firmware?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 09:17:13 GMT

After the release of the source code for NXT firmware version 1.04, I was
wondering if anyone is considering to open a community project to create an
improved firmware. I think an improved firmware which is compatible with version
1.04 opcodes (so NXT-G programs will work, as well as NBC/NXC/LabView
NXTToolkit) will be very beneficial.

For example, some improvements may be:
1. Faster AVR-ARM updates (1ms instead of 2ms)
2. Better PID algorithms
3. Implement an ASCII/ANSI BT communication protocol, in addition to existing
protocol. This will allow communicating with e.g. GPS BT devices
4. Improve IOMap access (current algorithm does string comparision with string
processing etc. This make it slow to find the currect module. A hash table will
be much faster)
5. Add more capabilities with a new module added to the firmware. One example
may be a module which you can put in it's IOMap a compiled code, set some flag
in the IOMap and during the next update cycle it will see the flag, and execute
the code you gave it.

Many of these exist in RobotC firmware, but this commercial product is not
compatible to NXT-G/NBC/LV. In fact, Dick Swan published many of the
"advantages" of the RobotC firmware online, which was the starting point for my
list of wishes. RobotC has an advantage that it is not compatible with NXT-G
compiler, so stuff like floats etc. are possible.

Of course, we can wait till NI/LEGO does the job, but maybe their wish list is
different...

Ideas anyone? What would you improve in the firmware? Anyone interested in such
a community project?

Guy Ziv
NXTasy.org