 Robotics / NXT / 1169
Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:50:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Chris Eyerly wrote:

I am hoping to build a race timer mechanism using my NXT and
4 touch sensors.

I'm not sure how much time you have, or what resources... but you might be able
to do this with a single set. If you put an arm on each motor, such that "track
A" would hit a peg and turn the motor clockwise, but "Track B" would hit a peg
on the other end of the arm, turning that motor counterclockwise. By "watching"
the motor encoders, you could determine when each peg is hit (or at the very
least, which was hit first). With three motors, you could in principle run six
tracks (not that you need to).

Freeing up the sensor ports allows you to actually have a "start timer" as well:
shine a laser across the track so that the movement of any car will break the
light beam, and then reflect that laser off a small mirror to shine in a light
sensor at the finish line. When that beam is broken, the NXT "starts the clock".
Note that the cable length is a real problem here (which is why having such a
"wireless" method, a laser shining the length of the track) is handy.

OK, yeah, probably much more than you needed... but I got curious :).

--
Brian Davis