 Robotics / NXT / 1168
Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:33:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

You might be able to come up with a simpler algorithm, but
this one should be very reliable.

Well, just for diversity here's a slightly different approach. Make the first
block a "Reset Timer" block, then split the program into four sequences. Each is
simply a "Wait for Touch Sensor", followed by "Read Timer" block with the result
wired into a variable block: "Time1", "Time2", "Time3, or "Time4". after all
these timers are non-zero, just compare them to determine the winner.

You could have each sequence beam display its own time on a certain line on the
LCD "as it happens", which would be fun to watch. Note also that for alternative
implementations of this, four parallel sequence beams might not be needed -
after all, even with four sequences "in parallel", the NXT is really only
watching them one at a time. By using the the "Wait" block you get around this
slightly (the FW is watching the sensors, not your program), but there's always
going to be a sequential evaluation of the sensors... it then becomes a question
of how often the sensors are polled, vs. how close you realistically think the
race is going to be.

--
Brian Davis