 Robotics / NXT / 1164
    NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Chris Eyerly
   I am hoping to build a race timer mechanism using my NXT and 4 touch sensors. Essentially I need it to be similar to a pinewood derby timer. I am holding a LEGO car race for our homeschool group, and would love to be able to do all of the timing (...) (14 years ago, 18-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) Chris, Sure it is, as long as the NXT cables are long enough to place the sensors where you want on the track. As you already figured out, the tricky bits are in the software. Here is pseudocode for what I would do were I to program it in G (...) (14 years ago, 19-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Chris Eyerly
      Thanks Kevin! That gives me a good start. once I get some sort of working model, I'll share with world for some good old fashion criticism. Chris (14 years ago, 19-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Brian Davis
     (...) Well, just for diversity here's a slightly different approach. Make the first block a "Reset Timer" block, then split the program into four sequences. Each is simply a "Wait for Touch Sensor", followed by "Read Timer" block with the result (...) (14 years ago, 24-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) I like it! As they say "There's more than one way to skin a cat". I work on computer servers that have 128 CPUs per chip and 512 CPUs per pizza sized box, and I knew that there is no true parallelism here with the NXT :) I like your design, (...) (14 years ago, 26-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

         Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Chris Eyerly
     (...) Well, I've built a 2 sensor version of Brian's idea using parallel sequence bars (I tried your idea Kevin, got stuck, then Brian chimed in). I just did some testing by building a rig to press the 2 sensors "simultaneously." I was able to get (...) (14 years ago, 26-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

         Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Brian Davis
     (...) *NOW* you're thinking like a Mindstorms person ;). Seriously, I'm glad it's working. The 1 ms difference could be due to a lot of things... but if it's not that critical, then it's not a problem. (14 years ago, 27-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

        Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Brian Davis
   (...) I'm not sure how much time you have, or what resources... but you might be able to do this with a single set. If you put an arm on each motor, such that "track A" would hit a peg and turn the motor clockwise, but "Track B" would hit a peg on (...) (14 years ago, 24-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: NXT Newbie "Is it possible" question —Chris Eyerly
   (...) Thanks Brian, I am hoping to play with all of the ideas, and really appreciate the response. Robotics, programming, and the NXT are all quite new for me, but I already having fun trying out the solutions provided, and learning the G progamming (...) (14 years ago, 24-Aug-10, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)