 Robotics / Micro Scout / 44
Re: Fiber Optics System controlling multiple motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics.scout, lugnet.robotics.microscout, lugnet.robotics.vll
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:09:21 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gaurav Thakur writes:
This looks really neat; I need to try this out soon. I have a Scout,
Microscout and remote control, but no RCX, so this system would be ideal.
[snip]
You have all the parts to do something slightly different.  See "Remote
control of 3 motors with Scout & Micro Scout" at
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=3948.  That post should have provided the
following instructions:  1) On the Micro Scout you should press On, select
the P program, and press Run to make it ready to accept and run VLL commands
from the Scout's red LED;  2) On the Scout you should just press On to make
it ready to accept IR signals from the Remote Control;  do not select its
Power mode;  3) With the Remote Control you should aim it at the Scout's IR
receiver at the top of the brick, press one of the "C" buttons on the Remote
Control, and watch the Scout's LED glow red with the VLL jitters.

The Micro Scout's P program lets it accept commands in the form of high
speed optical data called VLL, ie, Visible Light Link.  The Scout can create
these commands and send them through its LED light located on the same face
as and to the left of the light sensor; it turns red when it glows.  The
Remote Control's "C" buttons tell the Scout to send Forward and Reverse
motor VLL commands through the Scout's red LED.

If you don't use a PC, then you need the Remote Control to tell the Scout to
create VLL commands for the Micro Scout.

The FOS business at http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=3949 and
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=3955 does not use VLL so it does not use
the Micro Scout's P program.

If you want to buy and use some fiber optic cables or the FOS, then call
LSAH for its service pack or get Extreme Creatures; see
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=3950 and
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/scout/?n=121.

Just a slightly related question; it's probably a stupid one, but I've never
been able to figure out what the Power Mode does. Does the mode allow it to
integrate with other devices or something?
[snip]
The Scout's Power mode let's it communicate with the IR Tower or an RCX.
For more info, you and anyone who plays creatively with the Scout, with or
without a PC, should have a downloaded copy of Lego's "ScoutSDK.pdf" to
refer to the section "The Scout - Brief Description" on pages 11 - 20.  To
get it, you should do the following:
1)  Go to http://mindstorms.lego.com/products/rds/hackers.asp and look at
the picture of the Scout connected to a Micro Scout via Fiber Optic Cable.
2)  Click the link to navigate to the "Scout Software Developer Kit" (SDK) at
http://www.legomindstorms.com/scout_sdk/.  Don't worry about the title
saying "Software" because part of the doc explains the stand-alone Scout
with the Remote and Micro Scout.
3)  Click Go to Download Pages, etc and download the file "ScoutSDK.zip".
4)  After downloading, extract the file "ScoutSDK.pdf".  If you need Acrobat
Reader to view the PDF format, then go to
5)  In the extracted PDF document, titled "Lego Mindstorms Scout Software
Developers Kit User Guide & Reference," go to pages 11 - 20 "The Scout -
Brief Desciption."  Very good Scout technical reference.