 Robotics / Handy Board / 8419
Re: SOS: How can I get my robot moving straight?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 13:25:54 GMT

Hi Zhengrong,
I think it is possible. Your Handyboard has to give a pwm signal to your
gyroscope. The gyroscope lengthens or shortens this pwm and gives it back to
the Handyboard. I haven’t ever seen drivers for a gyroscope, so you’ll have
to write these yourself.

I’ve got another suggestion ( I haven’t tried it yet): if your truck is
never more than 80cm away from a wall(->indoor activity)  install two
IR-distance-measure sensors on the right and left side of your truck.
Example: If there’s a wall on the left of your truck the IR sensors are
detecting the wall and they are measuring the distance to the wall to your
Handyboard. If the distance of the two sensors isn’t the same (maybe the
left-front sensor’s value is 98 and the left-back sensor is 100) your truck
has to steer to the right until the both IR-sensors’ values are the
same(left-front: 100; left-back:100).
You could use the  digital Sharp GP2D02-Sensor or the analog Sharp
GP2D12-Sensor. Drivers and a tutorial therefore are on the Handyboard page
and at http://reality.sgi.com/barry_detroit/GP2D02_1.html .

I hope you’ll get your truck moving straight,

Jan

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Zhengrong Zang writes:
I am also designing a similar car or truck, my idea is use a rotation sensor
and worm gear to rack and pinion, then control it keeping straight base on
rotation value, is it possible?

Zhengrong

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Jan Haberlag writes:

Hi,
I’m trying to get my robot moving straight, but it doesn’t work. My robot is
configured for differential steering and I have shaft encoders installed on
each one for feedback. The encoders are working with the encoder library
from the Handy Board Page. Does anybody have an IC-Code to get a robot
moving straight?
Or has anyone  modified the proportional-integral-control (with the shaft
encoders connected to PA0 and PA7) out of the book “Mobile Robots:
Inspiration to Implantation” modified for use with the HB?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Please help me! Thanks,

Jan