 Robotics / Handy Board / 7631
Re: handy board troubles...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:13:00 GMT

Actually Jake, I'm having a similar problem right now, with regard to
loss of RAM capabilities.

I've been testing a new Polaroid 6500 sonar (which now works!) on the HB
and I've got it hooked up through the exp. board. I tried to run a simple
program that used actuated two servos, two motors, while polling one analog
input. It seemed to work without the Polaroid connected, but when I fired
it up with everything loaded on, it died, and now my HB can't seem to hold
it's RAM with the RJ11 cord connected to the charger/dler. I'm not completely
sure how the servos are powered/oscillated (etc.) so I haven't been able
to locate where I might have suffered some kind of power surge (possibly
from the sonar ranging board)... does it make any sense to think that
the sonar could have any affect on other periferals without being directly
powered up?... How ARE the servos on the Exp. Board driven?

thanks for any help,

John

p.s. On a somewhat different subject... I was wondering: Can the analog(n)
function be polled at any rate with success, or is it necessary to check
the CCF flag on the ADCTRL register (0x1030) be checked before
everytime and before the call to analog()? I'm reading an analog port quite
rapidly and I just wanted to know if this precursory check needed to be done.
If so, is the same true with the exp. board analog ports?

THANKS!

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Jake Burkholder writes:
Hi,

A while ago I shorted out my handy board which caused the ram chip to fry.
I've since replaced it, and the board boots again, but I am now seeing
other strange behaviour.

The batteries are connected and the board recieves power, but when I turn it
off the contents of RAM is lost unless the rj11 jack is plugged into the
charger/serial board.  The charger board need not be plugged into the wall, so
the power is coming from the batteries, and I've checked with a voltage meter
that there is always +5v to the RAM chip.  If I turn off the board and unplug
the rj11 jack, the board no longer boots and the pcode needs to be reloaded.
If I really quickly turn it off, remove the rj11 jack and turn it on again, it
works but then if I leave it off for more than a few moments the RAM is lost.

If I call sleep() or msleep() or anything that uses them from IC the heart
beat stops and I have to reset the board.

The infrared input/ouput seems to work fine, and I have an expansion board
with a polaroid sonar, and it works fine too.  Normal IC stuff, printf etc.
works fine.

What I believe happened with the catastrophic failure of my ram chip is that
the pins on the bottom of the board pierced the insulation on the wires to the
battery.  I disconnected it quickly but there was smoke and sparks.  The board
worked perfectly before this, and booted right up on replacing the RAM chip.

Any help is appreciated...Thank you

Jake