 Robotics / Handy Board / 7618
7617  |  7619
Subject:
Getting the L297 into wave drive mode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:28:30 GMT

Hi I'm using the L297/L298 chip configuration to run 4-phase unipolar
stepper motors.  Currently I'm driving them in half-step mode but I'm not
getting enough torque.. :(  Has anyone successfully gotten the L297 chip
into wave drive mode?  I believe I have a way to do it (which I'll explain
below) but I was wondering if anyone had done it an easier way?

The way i propose:

since the translator of the 297 needs to be in an even state i will reset
the translator putting it in state 1 and setting the half/full_bar mode
low, then when the clock changes the state of the translator to state 2 I
want to set the half/full_bar mode high.  Now my question is do I want to
send the 4 signals (A,B,C and D) into my microcontroller and determine
what mode the translator is in and then have an output from my
microcontroller set the half/full_bar mode accordingly?  or should I just
use a and/or/xor/nor/etc configuration to set my half/full_bar signal
accordingly?

Thanks
Sean Verret