 Robotics / Handy Board / 7590
Re: Non-polaroid Sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:30:33 GMT

In the sonar code from the web site, the rising edge detection on timer input channel 3 (TIC3) is set like this:

   bit_clear( 0x1021, 2 ); bit_set( 0x1021, 1 );

According to the little pink book, address 0x1021 is the Timer Control Register 2 (TCTL2) (in the Register & Control Bit Assignments section). To set channel 3 to capture falling edges only, you'd make the last two bits (set, clear) instead of (clear, set), like this:

   bit_set( 0x1021, 2 ); bit_clear( 0x1021, 1 );

Hope this helps!

-- Will

BTW, can anyone tell me why the bit_set and bit_clear commands aren't zero-indexed WRT the bit index (like everything else in C and machine code is)? Just curious.

Adam Oliver wrote:

Greetings all,

I've just finished building Kam Leang's sonar circuit as published on his web site, and it all seems to be working well. I am having a problem interfacing it to the handyboard however.
I'm not entirely sure how to set bits high and low etc on the SPI port, which is where I intend to hook this up. I have looked at the other sonar code thats around, but it hasn't been of much help.

This particular circuit doesn't use any kind of inhibitor to remove extreme close range signals. All I need is a ping out, then to count time before it bounces back. All the examples I've seen have used a rising edge signal, however this circuit is normally high and drops low when an echo is detected. The pink book just confused me even more (I hate to say).

Could anyone out there give me a few pointers of what bits need setting/resetting, and how to go about it? It would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Adam