 Robotics / Handy Board / 7619
7618  |  7620
Subject:
programming for step motor questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 01:44:36 GMT

Hi,
I would like to use step motors in my robot and have had success using the
MC3479 stepper motor IC, it is simple to use, just needs a direction bit
and a pulse,  but I really don't know how to program my hb to do this.  I
mean I can figure out how to send a pulse to a pin, but I don't know how to
get the hb to do other things while it is pulsing away to the step motor.
I would like to be able to send a constant pulse to the step motor, and be
able to vary the rate of the pulse in a similar manner as the hb runs DC
motors, like speed 0 is off, speed 1 is slow, and so on.  while the
handyboard is sending the pulse to the stepper, I'd like to check my
inputs, so that I can tell if I'm getting off course, or about to hit an
obstacle or something, but if I have the hb tied up sending all these
pulses, it seems like I won't be able to do anything else until I stop the
pulsing.  <--- is this wrong?    I'm guessing that I have to use interrupts
or something?  Is there anyone who understands my question and can point me
in the right direction, direct me to sample code, show me how they did it,
or otherwise get me started on this?