 Robotics / Handy Board / 7547
Re: light sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 03:24:01 GMT

Hi,
Light sensors are about the easiest of any type to hook to a HandyBoard.  You
can get inexpensive photo transistors at Radio Shack and put three of them in
a configuration where one is pointing straight ahead and the other two are
pointing about 30 degrees to the left and right.  If the center one is
brightest go straight ahead, If the left one is brightest, turn left until
the center one sees a brigther value, and so on.

Good luck,
Barry

P.S. They are sold as 'Infra Red Phototransistors' but they work fine with
visible light as well. They are very sensitive so it shouldn't be any problem
to have a small flashlight bulb on 'Momma' and that should be plenty of light
for 'Baby' to home in on.

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, KIM LEE JUNG <kim6@cooper.edu> writes:
Hi,
has anyone experimented with light sensors?  My group is working on a
mama and a baby robot this semester and would like to control baby's
movement by using sometype of sensors.  We are thinking of mounting sonar
sensor to the mamabot so that it could navigate around the room and maybe
mount light generating source so that babybot could follow the light.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Lee