 Robotics / Handy Board / 7546
Re: Can I interface the Handy board to a PC to run there the robot's brain?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 01:18:31 GMT

First, try this:
http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/software/contrib/drushel/serialio.c

If that won't do it for you, and you can get I/O control over your PC, you can
use the SPI port at J6 for some very fast transfers.

There are people who have interfaced RF links to various boards, but the task
does not appear trivial.  Sign up to the list server at the Seattle Robotics
Society to ask questions of those who have done it.  The URL for the SRS is
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/

What in the world are you doing that you cannot get your program on the Handy
Board?  I am running a grid-based navigation routine using a 20 x 40 grid,
driving two motors, two servos and two wheel encoders, and doing obstacle
detection and position updating with an IR ranging sensor.  I run IC, which takes
up half of the 32K of external RAM, but even with all this I have several
thousand bytes of RAM left over.  I have never succeeded in using it all, but I'm
sure it can be done.  I'm just wondering how you did it.

If you can't get your program into RAM using IC, then you can switch to a
commercial C compiler such as ICC11 from Imagecraft, and get the 16K taking up by
the Pcode interpreter back for your own use.

Good luck,

Gary Livick
Tiny HC11 products for your robot
http://www.teleport.com/~raybutts/

Julian wrote:

Hi, I am new on this, and I am not sure if can use the handy board to  get the
data from the sensors or to send the motor commands, but to send the data to a
PC in order to process them, i.e., to run the program that controls the robot
in a pc, in which I can run very complex programs, and then send the data back
to the handy board to tell the motors wath to do. May I even do it in a
wireless way (with a RF interface?)? where in the handy board do I have to
connect the interface (which one anyway!)?
Thanks

Julian