 Robotics / Handy Board / 7300
Re: SPI Port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:57:11 GMT

I interfaced my Vector2X to the handyboard without using the SPI port and
without any machine language.  I set the compass to be in slave mode and used
three digital outputs on the expansion board to control the RESET, SCLK, and
SS lines.  I used another two digital inputs to read EOC and SDO.

The driver software is written in IC and is pretty short.  It's just a direct
implementation of the procedure given in the manual.

I'm thinking about rewriting this in assembly, but there doesn't seem to be
much point to it.  Most of the time is spent waiting for the compass to
generate a reading after you request the heading.  Another cool thing is that
you can just make a loop that constantly reads the compass and spawn this off
as an IC process.  It'll sit in the background and update a heading variable
for you.

One caveat about this method is that IC isn't fast enough to catch the least
significan bit of the compass reading, but I run the compass in the low res
mode, so I really don't care.

The SPI port does exist on the on the expansion board, mine has an empty spot
for a connection to a polaroid sonar, I think.

As far as the IR sensors, I'm using the analog readout ones.  They're great.
I've got five of them on my robot.

Let me know if you want my code for the compass and I'll spruce up the comments
and send it to you.

-Scott

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, IRELAND <ctirelan@colby.edu> writes:
Hello -
I have two sensors that require the SPI port: the Sharp GP2D02 IR sensor,
and the Precision Navigation Vector Compass.  I'm hoping that someone can
tell me how to use both of these sensors at the same time, on the same
port or by using some other pin as a digital output.
I'm sure there are ways of doing this, but I have no knowledge of
electrical engineering or assembly, so I'm stuck.
Another question: is there an SPI port on the Expansion Board, or is this
completely taken over by the Expansion Board?

Thanks!
Chris Ireland