 Robotics / Handy Board / 6763
Re: Is there a device that...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:39:02 GMT

One manufacturer of such a device is Fascinating Electronics of Oregon.
They make a device that hooks to your serial port, you send it "commands"
and it answers. The board has a/d inputs digital inputs and outputs a relay
output, etc. It works by talking to an on board 80552 that is running a
control monitor.

If you get a true C compiler for the HB (either GCC or ICC11 will work
fine) you can do much the same with a handyboard. Write a simple program
that waits for input on the serial port and then returns the status to the
PC. A more cost-effective solution was the Miniboard and even had a program
that was mostly there called HEXMON or something similar.

Driving a parallel port directly is possible, but as Parallax will tell you
it is fraught with compatibility dangers (their original BASIC Stamp used
the parallel port for communication.)

--Chuck