 Robotics / Handy Board / 6775
Re: Is there a device that...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:53:48 GMT

   I'll vouch for the efficacy of the Fascinating Electronics board.  I
got one years ago after reading the series in Electronics Now/Radio-Electronics
using it as a weather monitor.  It works fine connected to an HP48 calculator
for control of I/O as well as some on board Stepper motor drivers.  I used
the steppers with Lego gears but it really is overkill since there's so much
free play in the Lego plastic gears.

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, handyboard@media.mit.edu (Chuck McManis) writes:
One manufacturer of such a device is Fascinating Electronics of Oregon.
They make a device that hooks to your serial port, you send it "commands"
and it answers. The board has a/d inputs digital inputs and outputs a relay
output, etc. It works by talking to an on board 80552 that is running a
control monitor.
.
   The Parallel port on the IBM style PC is one of those non-standard standards
that seem to change with every new system they bring out.

Driving a parallel port directly is possible, but as Parallax will tell you
it is fraught with compatibility dangers (their original BASIC Stamp used
the parallel port for communication.)