 Robotics / Handy Board / 6144
    Re: Battery Status —Duncan Orthner
   (...) This is usually how it's done. The voltage will drop predictably as the battery discharges. (...) Yes. You could use a voltage divider. You may have to play with the cutoff point a bit, and be aware that nicads experience a rather sharp (...) (25 years ago, 3-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Battery Status —Richard Drushel
     [Duncan Orthner] spake unto the ether: (...) But isn't the supply voltage also the reference for the D/A converter? If the reference drifts, the signal through the divider leg will also drift? I remember trying something like this with a variety of (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Battery Status —Eat Bugs!
     (...) However, I'd be concerned about this method in the long run. I'm thinking that the discharge rates of some batteries change over time (talking rechargables here), and that may screw you eventually. Of course, I haven't the faintest idea for a (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Battery Status —Duncan Orthner
   (...) battery (...) drop. (...) Umm, yes. But only if the battery is 5volts. Presumably, the voltage regulator on the HB is being supplied with well over ~6.5 volts (usually a 9.6v battery). Thus the output of your divider could be read via an (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)