 Robotics / Handy Board / 6144
Re: Battery Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 22:40:59 GMT

At 01:40 PM 5/3/99 -0700, Andre Philippi wrote:
Hi,

I would like to measure the battery capacity (how much longer can I keep the
operating robot, running under the present battery), but I very newbie in
regards to electonics... so here are my newbie questions... :)

1) Is voltage; information enough, to provide battery capacity (left) ?

This is usually how it's done. The voltage will drop predictably as the
battery discharges.

2) Could I use one of the analog ports on the Handy Board to measure battery
voltage (and therefore calculate capacity left (assuming voltage is
information enough for the calculation)) ?

Yes. You could use a voltage divider. You may have to play with the cutoff
point a bit, and be aware that nicads experience a rather sharp voltage drop.

Hope this helps, Duncan