 Robotics / Handy Board / 6149
Re: Battery Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 03:02:41 GMT

Duncan Orthner wrote:

1) Is voltage; information enough, to provide battery capacity (left) ?

This is usually how it's done. The voltage will drop predictably as the
battery discharges.

However, I'd be concerned about this method in the long run. I'm
thinking that the discharge rates of some batteries change over time
(talking rechargables here), and that may screw you eventually. Of
course, I haven't the faintest idea for a better solution, but I'm
thinking about it...can you smell the smoke.

Jonathan Pennington
-Anthropologist/Geologist
-Linux User and Advocate
-Bug Eater on an '83 V45 Magna