 Robotics / Handy Board / 6014
Re: Increasing current output to motors on HandyBoard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 00:46:59 GMT

Howdy,

My original suggestion was to use *solid state* relays.  They don't have any
contacts.  I use them plugged right into my Rug Warrior board at the motor output
ports (would work the same on my Handy Board, but I have it on a smaller base, and
the L293D is big enough for that).  The relays switch very fast, being solid state.
They are rated at 6 amps at 36 volts, and were $7 each.  Smaller ones are less
expensive, but their main advantage is ease of use.

Gary Livick

K.L.McKinnon wrote:

Haven't actually tried it, but I was thinking of the same sort of thing.
Use a FET for PWM and a DPDT relay for direction.  practically speaking,
if you only switched the relay when the FET was off, no power
transition, etc....
If your 'bot moves forward more than back than using a default state
(N/C) for the forward motion, means current to the relay is only
consummed during the reverse movement.
A single FET with a relay s(w)hould prove to be quite a bit more space
conservative and likely cost effective as well.
Comments?

K.L. McKinnon

MAR ERICSON wrote:

I wonder if this would last since a relay is mechanical and I would
assume that it would wear with all that "switching".  Doe anyone have any
experience with this?

Thanks.

ericson mar
Robotics Consultant