 Robotics / Handy Board / 5936
Re: Help needed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:06:32 GMT

I had a similar problem and had to try a different serial port. I have a
serial mouse and the board will only work properly in com 1. If I try com
2, I get similar problems to yours

keith

At 01:21 AM 3/28/99 +0100, MSMKatz wrote:
Hi,

I have assembled my recently bought Handy Board kit and have run into
major problems:

In paragraph 6.0.5 of the assembly manual, the Handy Board is tested for
the microprocessor and memory circuits.
After powering up the board and running IC (version 3.2), I can
successfully download the bootstrap code and pcode.
After resetting the Handy Board, the message "IC v3.1 Handy Board 1.2"
plus blinking heart appear on the display and the speaker beeps. So far,
so good.

After this, the following messages appear on my pc:
"synchronizing with board"
"pcode version 3.10 present on board"
"initializing interrupts"

After this last message, nothing.. The pc keeps waiting for a signal
from the Handy Board that isn't there and I have to abort IC.
What also happens some times, is that the computer proceeds with:

"downloading 1724 bytes (addresses 8000-86BB):"
followed by a counter showing the number of bytes downloaded. This
counter stops at 700 or 1400 bytes, followed by the message "Board not
responding to 98 (b) command"
"synchronizing with board"
"board not responding, retrying"
"board not responding, retrying"
"board not responding, retrying"....(etc)

Resetting the board by switching off and on does not help, the message
"board not responding, retrying" re-appears every time.
After each reset there is a short period of activity on the serial link
(green led on the serial board flickers), but after 1 or 2 seconds this
stops (green led continuously on) and the heart on Handy Board's display
stops beating at the same moment (leaving a small or large 'dead' heart
on the display).
Quitting IC first and then resetting Handy Board and restarting IC also
doesn't help.

I've checked and resoldered all solder joints.
I've checked all tracks on the Handy Board for shorts and/or open
connections (from component to component, with a multimeter). I've
checked the orientation of all components a couple of times. Everything
seems to be ok!

As a next step, I've replaced the memory chip, the 8611 and the 74HC132,
the capacitors of the 8611's oscillator circuit and the four elco's for
the ICL232 (serial board): no result (sigh..).

I've tried both com1 and com2 on my pentium II 350MHz computer, I've
tried to run IC version 2.8 from DOS on a 486 computer, but the same
problem occurs: Handy Board is not responding (sigh again..).
I set my serial ports at 9600 baud, 8 databits, 1 stop bit, no parity,
I/O buffers at minimum size.
Serial cable and phone cable are both ok, checked and double checked.
I downloaded the latest library files from Fred Martin's site: no
improvement.

The only thing I haven't done yet is to replace the 74HC373 (I am not
particularly looking forward to desoldering this thing..), the voltage
regulators (all voltages measured are ok) or the ICL232 on the serial
board.

I've looked through the '97 and '98 archives and found similar problems
reported, but no answers (sigh, sigh, sigh).

I am completely lost about what to do next and my girl friend starts to
object to my bad mood, so please help!!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Marc Katz
msmkatz@wxs.nl
(I've asked Fred Martin to be added to this mailing list just this
evening, so if any of you has a quick suggestion: could you please mail
me directly? Thanks..)