 Robotics / Handy Board / 5918
Re: Help needed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:48:20 GMT

MSMKatz wrote:

I am completely lost about what to do next and my girl friend starts to
object to my bad mood, so please help!!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Marc Katz
msmkatz@wxs.nl
(I've asked Fred Martin to be added to this mailing list just this
evening, so if any of you has a quick suggestion: could you please mail
me directly? Thanks..)

Marc,

First of all, using IC, or probably any form of programming, takes
patience.   If you mess around with IC3.2 long enough, you will eventually
get it to run.  Try messing with port speeds, etc.

There is nothing wrong with your Handy Board!  If you want a confidence
builder, download the freeware version of IC, and use that for a while.  To
download Pcode, use the HBDL feature you can find by looking around on the
net.  HBDL will run under Windows 98 (on my computer anyway).  The trick to
making the freeware version of IC work (for me, anyway) was to boot my
computer with the "command" and the  F5 function keys held down.  This
bypasses the startup files, and gets you into a real DOS environment, free
of the Microsoft enhancements that make everything not work.

I did get IC 3.2 to work, but I am not sure how.  A friend of mine came
over and stripped out everything that I didn't need, increased the port
speeds from where I had them set, an voila!

IC 3.2 is a great package.  The C environment is richer than the freeware
version, and you can run with several windows open.  But for most things,
the freeware version works just fine, and always works.  Too bad the
commercial version isn't better supported in the fast machines.

Best of luck.

Gary Livick (and Max)