 Robotics / Handy Board / 5917
Re: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:41:10 GMT

Excuse me, but I ' ve already heard this "wookie"...so many times, but what
is it ? If it's an reditor, can you say me where can I find a copy ?

----------
From: Curt Mills, WE7U <hacker@tc.fluke.com>
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu; robot-board@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Cc: Curt Mills <hacker@tc.fluke.com>; Curt Mills <BowHunt@iname.com>; Ken • Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>; Dave Yoest <dyoest@splat.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Date: 26 March 1999 23:30

A great link for people doing HC11 work:

www.msoe.edu/eecs/ce/ceb/resources

Here they have Wookie, a HC11 simulator for Win32, the WinBug11
downloader, a DOS HC11 simulator, AS6811 and ASLINK (relocatable
assembler), and something I've sought for a while:  a GCC 2.8.1
C-compiler.  Go up a directory or two to find lots of docs for some of
these (student senior projects).  Some of these tools are specifically • set
up for the RugWarrior board.

I've asked Dr. Barnicki at MSOE if he's going to make the patches for GCC
2.8.1 available, and he's going to try to get them up on the website
shortly. Don't bug him though if they doesn't appear right away, I'll
probably bug him enough about it myself!

It appears that Dr. Barnicki started from the Coactive Aesthetics HC11
port to GCC.  I'm anxiously awaiting the 2.8.1 patches as I want a GCC
2.8.1 cross-compiler on Linux. I tried the DOS version last night and it
worked, but I didn't download the resulting code to my board to test.
Perhaps I or someone else on this list could create a GCC-HC11 RPM file
(for Linux), which would make it easier for people to install.

Next thing is to take the Miniboard libraries that exist for GCC and
create a Handyboard version of the same.  Anyone else interested?  It
looks like it might have been Ken Hornstein that created the Miniboard • GCC
libraries, based on work by Carlos Puchol of Univ. of Texas (according to
the README and the RCS tags). Since there is no copyright info (other • than
a BSD notice on the printf function), am I free to adapt them for the
Handyboard?  Ken?

Also, it appears that the GCC folks don't know everyone who might have
been involved in doing the original HC11 port of GCC (that's what I heard
from one of the Cygnus folks).  If the people involved could contact the
GCC people perhaps the HC11 code could be permanently added to the GCC
source tree.  If anyone knows the people involved, please urge them to do
this.  Perhaps they or their friends are subscribed to these lists?

Tonight I'll start on a Handyboard GCC library, unless somebody posts • back
stating it's been done.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U