 Robotics / Handy Board / 3535
Re: Cannot download :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 01:33:26 GMT

Based on my Win95 / NT programming experience:

So problems with downloading could be related to the FIFO buffer? I don't
think a mouse port needs the FIFO buffer.

Yes it most certainly does!.  Any serial port needs a buffer in
windows, to account for multiple programs that would want to use the
port.
(ie could have 2 or terminal programs accessing the same serial pot).
Also, Windows may be busy doing something, unable to process serial
data at that time.  Hence Windows stores input/output to the buffers
until it can process, and direct the data to various programs.

Can Win95 or NT disable the FIFO
buffer when using the mouse driver on a certain com port?? I know that
Win95 can let you disable the buffer when you have a modem connected to it,
but is it effectively disabling the Fifo register? That could be why older
computer with UART chips lower than 16550 have better success downloading
with the handy board...

No you either can not, or it is NOT recommended to disable the FIFO
buffer.
If the FIFO buffer was disabled WinNT (and Win95 to some extend)
programs will not be able to get any serial data. This is due to
WinNT virtualising machine I/O calls, allowing programs to
read/write to the buffer only (not the port directly).

Charles Hacker
School of Engineering
Griffith University - Gold Coast
PMB 50 Gold Coast Mail Centre