 Robotics / Handy Board / 3533
Re: Cannot download :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:48:45 GMT

At 05:32 3/31/98 -0500, you wrote:

I have had the same problems with my P133 desktop running W95.
Other stuff communicated fine through com1 but the HB would not work.

After I changed the setting for recive buffer and transmit buffer to the
lowest value possible (min) it worked fine.

Hey everyone!   This is this first time I've seen this suggestion for
getting the downloaders to work on fast machines.

Maybe other people who are having trouble can try this!

Fred

So problems with downloading could be related to the FIFO buffer? I don't
think a mouse port needs the FIFO buffer. Can Win95 or NT disable the FIFO
buffer when using the mouse driver on a certain com port?? I know that
Win95 can let you disable the buffer when you have a modem connected to it,
but is it effectively disabling the Fifo register? That could be why older
computer with UART chips lower than 16550 have better success downloading
with the handy board...

Anyway, maybe someone could try this: going through the control panel of
Win95/NT and look up if there's an option for disabling the FIFO buffer
with a standard com port (no modem attached to it) and then try to download
on the handy board. Don't forget that if you are using a modem on this port
too, and if the speed connection is higher than 9600 bauds, then you should
enable the fifo buffer so the computer can maximize the transfer speed
between the external modem and the UART.

|  Remi Desrosiers
| "My Youth in Arcadia"       ICQ# 7228856
|  harlock@videotron.ca
.  remi.desrosiers@polymtl.ca
.
.