 Robotics / Handy Board / 2996
Re: IR Demodulator Range Finder Hack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:01:50 GMT

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, John Hatton wrote:

A few months ago I found information on how to modify the Sharp IR
Demodulator to produce an analogue voltage relating to the strength of
IR received. The problem is that I have lost the information and can't

http://www.mil.ufl.edu/imdl/handouts/sharphack.pdf

or, http://www.mil.ufl.edu/novasoft/brief/default.htm#Sensors
for the referring page.

I have used this "hack", and found it to be quite extensible and flexible.
We used "high output" IR LEDs, from Radio Shack (I don't have the part
number, but, if you go in there, its the light light blue ones) that can
consume up to 100 mA.  We just used a NE555 driving a GP transistor to
modulate the transmitting LED to the 40 Khz required by the discrimation
elements present in the receiver.

It is a Sharp GP1U58Y with the integrating capacitor "tapped" for an
analog voltage.  The notes stress the necessity of a low capacitance
drain.  I would like to restress that myself; use a quality meter when
applying this modified sensor.

Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU