 Robotics / Handy Board / 2985
Re: IR Demodulator Range Finder Hack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:21:57 GMT

On 17 Nov 97 at 11:08, John Hatton wrote:

A few months ago I found information on how to modify the Sharp IR
Demodulator to produce an analogue voltage relating to the strength
of IR received. The problem is that I have lost the information and
can't remember where I saw it. Has anybody else seen this
information and remember where it was or have sufficient information
to perform the modification ?.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John Hatton
johnha@icsplc.co.uk

I would be interested to hear about this too please.  We are running
a Group Design Exercise (our own version of a Lego robot
competition).  Designing the staff entry (to check the idea was
feasible in the short time alloctated to the exercise) I noticed that
using a Sharp IS1U60 to locate a beacon, the duration of the
output pulse seemed to depend on the signal strength.  I assume that
with a stronger signal it takes longer for the capacitor/resistor
preceding the comparator to discharge.

My final design used two detectors pointing forward and a baffle to
cast a shadow if the beacon shone from the side. This gives a
simple left-forward-right signal.  However if I had more time I would
see if it was possible to make use of the variation in pulse width.
I think it might be possible to overlap the fields of view of the two
detectors and use the difference in pulse widths to give a
proportional feedback signal.  Has anyone tried this?

        Regards,
            Graeme

Graeme Dunbar
School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
The Robert Gordon University
Schoolhill, Aberdeen AB10 1FR, Scotland, U.K.
Tel. +44 1224 262415
Fax  +44 1224 262444
email  g.r.a.dunbar@rgu.ac.uk