 Robotics / Handy Board / 2912
Re: serial interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 23:25:01 GMT

[Lisa Meeden] spake unto the ether:

I am interested in using the handyboard platform to do online robot
learning on a unix platform.  I would like to have my learning program
(written in ansi C and compiled with gcc) running on a unix machine
sending motor commands and receiving sensor readings through the
serial line.  I have looked at the serial code provided on the
handyboard web page: serialio.c, conio.c, and debug_serialio.c.  These
seem to provide the backbone needed to do this, but do not include
mechanisms to command the motors or read the sensors.

Hi Lisa, I wrote the conio.c etc. stuff, but purposely didn't write
any kind of command/telemetry protocol like you're suggesting.  If a polled
serial I/O environment on the HB side is good enough for your needs, then
writing a suitable command/telemetry protocol should be easy.  Off the top
of my head, how about something like

UNIX HB
"R" device ------------------->
           <------------------- sensor value 0-255

"W" device data -------------->
                   <------------------- ACK or NAK

Device numbers could be sequentially numbered, with fixed offsets to
separate device classes (e.g., 0 for digital ports, 20 for analog ports,
40 for DC motors, 60 for servo motors, allowing room for expansion).
Data values for writes could be motor speeds/directions, encoded any
way you like.  Use your imagination; you can invent virtual devices (e.g.
a status device which might return a multi-byte data packet representing
the state of several sensors, motors, or what have you).

If you need really high UNIX-HB communication rates, however,
you'll have to write an .ICB to implement buffered, interrupt-driven
serial I/O for the HB.

*Rich*

--
Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D.            | "Aplysia californica" is your taxonomic
Department of Biology, Slug Division | nomenclature.  /  A slug, by any other