 Robotics / Handy Board / 2795
Re: Small casters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:38:32 GMT

Mar,
        I've never seen a caster as small as you describe, but I have
seen something that might work.  I use a "captured ball" bearing
instead of a caster on my robot, and it works really well (no
swivelling needed to change direction).  I got these at a woodworking
shop, they are used to make work surfaces that things can slide on in
any direction easily (think of a board sitting on a bunch of
track-balls).  I mounted it ball-down and, like I said, it works well.
It's probably too big for you, though; it's about 1.25 in. high from
ball to mounting bracket.  Now, the thing I'm remembering is very
similar, but much smaller.  It was a "puck" for some sort of game
where you slid things across a board.  The "pucks" were made of a
steel ball almost completely captured in a plastic (nylon, maybe)
casing.  The ball was about 3/8 to 1/2 in. in diameter.  The plastic
was thick enough that you could use it as a mounting.  I'm not sure if
this game is still made, but you might be able to find one of these
things if you ask around.
    Ken