 Robotics / Handy Board / 2401
Re: voice synthesis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 16:15:49 GMT

rabbit wrote:
I think your radio shack lied to you.  In just about every Radio
Shack I have been in I have seen voice sythesis chips along with
the other IC's.  Maybe they are not exactly the ones you saw in
1988 but they exist.

Actually Radio Shack didn't lie, the chips Jeff are referring to are
the SP0256 Allophone synthesizer from General Instrument and the CTS244
text to speech processor, also from GI. The CTS244 was actually a
mask programmed PIC chip but it isn't clear whether you could use
the same rom in one of the newer PICs. Both of these chips are no
longer in production, although there is a semiconductor house in the
SF Bay Area that will run a couple of wafers of them if you're
really desperate :-)

What Radio Shack does sell are the ISD digital recorder chips. These
can be handy if you always want to say the same thing. You can record
the phrase on the chip and then play it back on cue. This gives you
the best speech fidelity at the cost of little flexibility.

The chips don't exist because for design engineers it doesn't make
sense to design in chips when you can just add a few lines of DSP
code. There may be an app-note for the Analog Devices 2100 DSP series
that describes generating allophones (the base components of phonemes)
using the DSP.

Fred's comment to use the R/C systems board is a good one, the board
produces better sounding speech by a wide margin.

--Chuck McManis