 Robotics / Handy Board / 1615
Re: Vector2x SPI interrupt driven code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 13:58:19 GMT

Not sure who you are?  tomb?

Tom Brusehaver, formerly tgb@bnr.com.

Anyways, I noticed mention of a compass....  I once looked into the
idea of using a flux gate compass to obtain heading info.  After finding
that the inexpensive (affordable) models would only obtain info at a
resolution of 45 degrees, I gave up on it.  I read all of the mail on

45degrees sounds more like a dinsmore device (compass mechanism, and 4
hall effect transistors).  I have them, and they are useful for some
things.

the HB list, but I don't recall transmisions on the compass idea.
Maybe I should ask what the Vector2x is???

Please feed me info on this compass stuff.  I'm extremely interested.

The vector2x is a compass made by Precision Navigation, sold by Jameco
and JDR for about $50.  It has 1 degree resolution, and 2 degrees of
accuracy.  The bad thing, is it only samples at 5hz (200ms), so fast
turns this won't work for, be keeping a robot mostly straight, this
will help.  Probably a rate gyro would be better, and using them
together would be best (gyro's precess over time, and the compass
would allow regular correlations).

THe Vector2x like all compasses should be kept away motors and other
magnetic fields, although it does have a calibration to get around
some magnetic disturbances.  Smaller robots probably can't use it,
because it would be too close.

There are some documents on Randy Seargents web page...under spec
sheets or something like that.