 Robotics / Handy Board / 1432
Re: expansion board/multiple sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 06:06:08 GMT

It's actually a '374 or '373 for outputs.  I guess you could use them for
inputs too, but you're better off using a '244 for input.

Or even a '574, '573, '541, these chips put inputs on one side and outputs
on the other.  Very convenient.  Even consider a latched peripheral driver.
Kinda like a '374, but can supply 100mA.  Or maybe use the '374 and a
Darlington array.  Depending on the array, you can get anything from 300mA
to 1.5A of output on four to eight channels.

If you want multiple sonar, check out this page:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/musliner/sonar/

Gives a description for multiplexing the transducers themselves.  That way,
you use one polaroid board and one set of IC lines on the 6811.  Get a
couple more transducers only.  Last I saw they were $20 each.  Pretty sure
Wirz sells the transducer seperately.

http://www.wirz.com

Two output lines would give four sonar directions, add one more output and
get eight directions.  Plus, you'll spend half as much in the process.
There's even some code for the mutliplexer.  I haven't used it, but I'm
sure it's usable.  It was originally intended for the 6.270 boards anyway.

Just a thought

matt