 Robotics / Handy Board / 1431
Re: FW: expansion board schematic posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 06:26:18 GMT

Sean,

Using two of the SPI port pins, and a MUX and DEMUX, you should be able
to gang together four of the Polaroid ultrasonic sensors.  See if the
code below makes sense.  I wrote it a while ago, when I wanted more
Polaroids, but - I didn't actually test it, so it might need some work
(both code and circuit).  Hope that helps.

- Prabal

/*
* Purpose: Allows four ultrasonic sensors to be interfaced to the
*   Handy Board while only sacrificing the pins necessary for one
*   motor port.
* Requires: This file requires sonar.icb to function properly.
*   the figure below.
* Usage: The following hardware needs to be present:
*
*                        R = 330-1K ohm
*
*                  /|-----/\/\/\/------< BINH1
*                 / |-----/\/\/\/------< BINH2
*  M2P1 >--------|  |
*           A0 ---\ |-----/\/\/\/------< BINH3
*           A1 ----\|-----/\/\/\/------< BINH4
*
*                  /|------------------< INIT1
*                 / |------------------< INIT2
*  M2P9 >--------|  |
*           A0 ---\ |------------------< INIT3
*           A1 ----\|------------------< INIT4
*
*
*  ECHO1 >-------|\
*  ECHO2 >-------| \
*                |  |------------------< D7
*  ECHO3 >-------| /--- A0
*  ECHO4 >-------|/---- A1
*
*
*  SPI port info:
*    bits: SS=5, SCK=4, MOSI=3, MISO=2
*    to turn on: poke (0x1009, 0x3C);
*    these are the middle four pins of J6
*    A0 = MISO
*    A1 = MOSI
*  Other connections:
*    M2P1 = Motor Chip 2 (ports 2&3), pin 1
*    M2P9 = Motor Chip 2 (ports 2&3), pin 9
*/
int WAIT_FOR_ECHO_TIME = 35L;
int SONAR_TIME_CONSTANT = 150;

int multiPing (int sensor) {
  int A0 = 0, A1 = 0;
  A0 = 0b01 & sensor;
  A1 = 0x02 & sensor;
  poke (0x1009, 0x3C);
  if (A0) bitset (0x1008, 0b00000100);
  if (A1) bitset (0x1008, 0b00001000);
  ping (0);
  msleep (WAIT_FOR_ECHO_TIME);
  return (sonar_time/SONAR_TIME_CONSTANT);
}

MSI: Sean Cunningham wrote:
I could really use that second sonar.  I don't suppose there is a way
you could design two parallel sonar connectors that are toggled with one
of the digital outs?  That way we wouldn't be taxing the handyboard

--
Prabal Dutta                               Tel:    (614) 299-2566
Digital Micro Systems, Corp.               FAX:    (614) 299-2939