 Robotics / Handy Board / 1430
Re: FW: expansion board schematic posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 17:50:58 GMT

MSI: Sean Cunningham wrote:
I could really use that second sonar.  I don't suppose there is a way
you could design two parallel sonar connectors that are toggled with one
of the digital outs?  That way we wouldn't be taxing the handyboard
resources except for the digital out.

Hmmm... why not do this? Use a 74273 and tie it to the HB's data lines
and strobe it with Y0 (or Y2 or Y4)? This would create a latched output
"port" at address 0x4000. Tie two of the 74273 outputs to the 'A' side
of two [N]AND gates (depending on the signal polarity- I don't use it so
I don't know :-) and then tie the SONAR signal to both of the 'B' sides.
The resulting 'C' outputs from each of the [N]ANDs would route to the
appropriate Sonar hardware. I'll attempt some bad ASCII art here.

-----\   Dn +-------+ Q0  A       B
D0-D7 + ----|       |------|N/AND|----<SONARIN:
-----/      | 74273 |        C|-------------:SONAROUT0>
        CLK |       | Q1  A       B
Y0 ---------|       |------|N/AND|----<SONARIN:
            +-------+        C|-------------:SONAROUT1>

SONAR--------:SONARIN>

This is of course assuming that the SONAR signal from the HB is digital.
If its analog you could substitute a 4016 bilateral (analog) switch IC
which would accomplish the same thing. Just use the switch's GATE
instead of 'A'.

The beauty of this approach is that you also get 6 additional latched
output bits for FREE!!! And as the discussion here has recently
indicated, EVERYONE would like MORE OUTPUTS PLEASE!!! :-) (Since I'm
cc'ing this to the HBlist I just thought I'd cast my vote :-)

If you want to set up another input port, you could use a 74373 or 74374
(depending on whether or not you wanted level-triggered or
edge-triggered inputs) and wire it up to Y1, Y3, or Y5.

Anyway, I hope this helps you or somebody on the list!

Cheers

John Whitten
brat@naxs.com

| "I'll give up my modem when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!" |
| John Whitten - brat@naxs.com  http://www.vnet.net/wizorg/wizorg.html |
| Internet Consulting, Unix Administration, Programming, etc. Mail me! |