 Robotics / Handy Board / 1286
1285  |  1287
Subject:
dual servos unstable?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 06:40:55 GMT

I have almost identical routines right now; one using dual servos, the
other single.  The single one works fine, the double is unstable.

Try running the two-servo code, but unplugging each of the two servos, in
turn.  One servo plugged in to the two servo code should narrow down
whether this is a software or power problem.  If it only jitters when both
are plugged in, I'd recommend putting a very large electrolytic (1000 uf or
higher) across the 6v close to the servos.  Servos draw power in a rather
"spikey" fashion (lots of quick on and off when the motors are stopped,
which means very large current).  Two motors on a (rather soft -- low
current and unregulated) wall transformer could be causing you grief.  You
can try running the servos off separate power supplies as another test.

-- Randy

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
Senior Design Engineer               Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/