 Robotics / Handy Board / 1287
Re: (IR sensors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 06:53:48 GMT

If you go to the following link:

     ftp://cher.media.mit.edu/pub/contrib/cmcmanis/

You will find a file called ir.tar.Z which describes
some software I wrote for a PIC chip that drove several
LEDs and monitored three IR sensors (Sharp 1SU60s but
could have as easily been 1GPU52x's) The PIC code
presented turns on an "output" LED with a 38Khz signal
and modulates the signal with a 100Hz signal (to provide
a differentiating input). The signal is post processed
by the PIC which is monitoring the state of the IR detector.

If you build this circuit you will find that it is VERY
reliable at using an IR sensor to detect obstacles that
reflect IR light at a distance of two (2) to four (4) feet.
(1.25 meters) The downside of IR is that it doesn't see dark
things well.

I'm in the process of preparing an article on this portion
of the Cougar project (paper is also in the directory above)
and producing a specially programmed PIC that is simply a
triple sensor (that is 3 IR sensor/LED pairs, point them
in three directions, bring 'look*' low, read the output
'detect0' through 'detect2' to see if any of the sensors
are detecting an obstacle.) This will make an easy bolt on
for many robots, but may have some problems in the digitally
output challenged systems :-) (no offense Fred!) An SPI
system might also be possible.

Cheers,
--Chuck
James D. Tegarden wrote:

Can some give me a suggestion as to what kind of IR sensors would be
good to use in conjunction with the Handboard on a mobile robot.  I
remember seeing some info on Sharp IR modules...and if I'm not mistaken,
the posting mentioned that these IR ssensors had a range of approx. 3
feet.(That's what my group is looking for.)  Am I hallucinating, or can
this brand of sensor be used? If so where might I be able to purchase
these?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the help.

                                                Jim Tegarden

--
--Chuck McManis       http://www.professionals.com/~cmcmanis/index.html
All opinions in this message are those of the author. No warranty as to