 Robotics / Handy Board / 1192
Re: pcode downloading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 05:11:40 GMT

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Fred G. Martin wrote:
Here is the relevant part of the test instructions:

  Finally, the MAX232's ability to transmit data to the host computer is • :
  input side of this output stage.  Again measure the voltage at pin 3
  of J9---it should now read +10 to +12 volts.

I assume you are successful in getting the -10 v out from pin 3 of J9
when nothing is attached -- what voltage do you get when you jumper
pins 6 and 10?  You need to get at least +5v; this is the way that the
HB transmits back to the host computer.

I get -8.9v when its not jumped.  When jumped I get some floating values
in the mV range.  I checked all of the solder joints.  Changed power
supplies.  Removed and reseated the chip.  Checked power and continuity at
various points around the board and things look fine.

I'm considering ordering a MAX232 from Digikey tomorrow.

It's surprising that this test would be bad but then DLM synced but
failed -- DLM's syncing would suggest that the comms work.

No idea.

Wait a minute!  There is a bogus version of the pcode file that might
not have been purged from all of the on-line sources.  This version

I doubt that.  I got the file from the web page yesterday and even tried
it with the one that came with a the beta of IC 3.1.

At this point, I'm willing to suspect the RS232 converter.

Thanks for the reply, my five year old is looking forwarded to having a
new robot. :)

Karl R Altenburg altenbur@plains.NoDak.edu
North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND  58105

All things are artificial, for nature is the art of God.  SIR THOMAS BROWNE