 Robotics / Handy Board / 1189
Re: pcode downloading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 00:17:55 GMT

Here is the relevant part of the test instructions:

  Finally, the MAX232's ability to transmit data to the host computer is
  tested.  Again using pin 7 of J9 as a ground reference, measure the
  voltage at pin 3 of J9.  This is the MAX232's serial output.  It
  should read -10 to -12 volts.  Now temporarily jumper the -12 volt
  supply (pin 6 of the MAX232) to pin 10 of the MAX232, which is the
  input side of this output stage.  Again measure the voltage at pin 3
  of J9---it should now read +10 to +12 volts.

I assume you are successful in getting the -10 v out from pin 3 of J9
when nothing is attached -- what voltage do you get when you jumper
pins 6 and 10?  You need to get at least +5v; this is the way that the
HB transmits back to the host computer.

It's surprising that this test would be bad but then DLM synced but
failed -- DLM's syncing would suggest that the comms work.

Wait a minute!  There is a bogus version of the pcode file that might
not have been purged from all of the on-line sources.  This version
erroneously loads values into the zero page of the 6811's memory-- the
very place where the bootstrap download routine is living.  This will
corrupt the boot downloader while it is working.  It looks like HBDL
is doing a sanity check and preventing the corruption (while also
aborting the download).

Please make sure that you get a fresh copy of pcode_hb.s19 from the
Handy Board software site, and let us know the result.  Also, if this
does indeed turn out to be the problem, please let me know where you
got the bogus pcode file.

-Fred

Happy New Year!

I'm putting together a HandyBoard and am stuck at the point where
pcode_hd.s19 is downloaded.

Some details:
Have a chip labled SIPEX SP232ACP as a substitute(?) for MAX232.

During downloading using DLM the board syncs OK but generates an
serial line echo error stating (wanted 50, got 3e).

Using HBDL, makes it through boot loading, but generates the
error: Error at address 0x0000 when attempting to download further.

Everything has gone well up to this point with the exception of the last
testing step in 3.2.2. Testing of the Interface/Charger Serial Circuit
where I could not get a +9 to +10 volts when jumping pins 6 and 10 of the
substitute for the MAX232.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Karl R Altenburg altenbur@plains.NoDak.edu
North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND  58105

All things are artificial, for nature is the art of God.  SIR THOMAS BROWNE