 Robotics / 9981
Re: GPS for RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:47:43 GMT

In message <Fo5Do0.7py@lugnet.com>, Vincent Cate <vince@cate.com> writes
In lugnet.robotics, "Daniel A. Segel" <daniels@netcom.com> writes:
Without differential GPS the accuracy is low enough (usually no better than
+/- ~100 feet, sometimes far worse than that) that it would be almost
useless for a robot that wasn't in sight at all times anyway. I wouldn't
want an autonomous boat under GPS control for fear it would get lost.

It seems they have differential GPS in lots of places now, like near
airports and sea-ports.  For indoor use you would need differential GPS.
But for people who had that, it would make these robots really powerful.

Differential GPS signals are available everywhere in the UK on FM RDS.
(ClassicFM i think).

And for a guy like me who lives on a tropical island, +/-100 feet is
plenty accurate enough for a solar powered robot boat to make it back to a
mile long beach.

Vince Cate
http://cate.com/vince/

--