 Robotics / 9970
Re: GPS for RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:03:08 GMT

Without differential GPS the accuracy is low enough (usually no better than
+/- ~100 feet, sometimes far worse than that) that it would be almost
useless for a robot that wasn't in sight at all times anyway. I wouldn't
want an autonomous boat under GPS control for fear it would get lost.

Daniel

Ah, but I have thought up a slight fix to this problem.  You are not really
concered with "where" the robot is, just how it has moved relative to a fixed
base position. ("home")  This wouldn't work for a robot that you are sending
_all_ that far, but how about:

Having a "home" position that you map out with either DGPS or from a survey
marker.  Or, just use the GPS that you intend to use.

Now, call that relative to the robot, 0,0.  Measure any offsets with the GPS
_from that point_ and you should be able to get back to that point as long as
the SA does not change during the time that you are running the robot/program.

Or, use DGPS, which is more accurate (but more pricy too)

at least, for the first tries I would also sensor the rotation, and try to
create a "map" idea placement of the robot to compare to the GPS. To test the
GPS vs the sensors, one would have to have a fair challange as for the robot to
go to the following location (a,b) then return, with it being say 100 ft away
in both planes, and then see which robot gets there, and gets back.  (Try on a
tennis court or suchlike?)  I really doubt either robot would be able to do it
with a CEP of less than say 5 ft/100, but the GPS equipped one likely could do
it to 5ft deviation total, whereas the sensored one would get worse as distance
goes by.

If "real" accuracy is required, I really don't think that regular GPS would do
it anyway.

James