 Robotics / 9927
Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:06:18 GMT

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote:
I hate to see this about a toy I've had so much fun with, but it isn't
likely that (esp. once you upgrade to pbForth or legOS) you'll feel
limited by software, even with the 32K limitation. The big limitation is
hardware. The sensors (esp.  once you try to do anything with any kind of
precision) are an unreliable mess, and the fact that you can only use
three of them makes it difficult to do anything of any serious
computational complexity.

You just have to know how to use what it comes with. It's really not that
hard!

Unfortunately, it really is. The most egregious examples are of course
the light sensors, which a) are only vaguely linear b) don't have any
resolution at the high and low end and c) (worst) when measuring a
constant light source, will vary by up to 10% (5% in either direction.)
Touch sensors which often get stuck and stay depressed are another
example of poor design. The very irregular motors are another example.
Look- they are a lot of fun. I've enjoyed mine very much. But these kinds
of problems make it difficult to do anything "serious" with them. More
pertinently, they make the HW the limitation for the bot- not the
software (which was the point of the question in the first place).
-Luis

P.S. Alex, I too enjoy the mechanical end a lot. I can use mechanics to
(sort of) fix the rotation and touch sensors. I'm stuck with the poor
light sensors, no matter what, and that sort of stinks.

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous