 Robotics / 9851
Re: RCX speaks ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 07:50:56 GMT

Ram Meenakshisundaram wrote:

I was planning on porting speak over to legOS, but unfortunately, with 32K,
it doesnt leave much room to have the phonemes in memory let along a few of
them.  Each .au file is about 3-4K some bigger.  Anyone else have any
ideas???

If there's an external source of interrupts that you can drive quickly
enough you could generate the noise from the interrupt handler and store
the samples remotely. Does the IR port generate interrupts? Or you could
build a "sensor" that stored the samples and delivered them constantly,
and have something constantly reading the data and using it to drive the
speaker. Or, put a portable CD player into your robot and have your
robot drive the "play", "next track" and "previous track" buttons ...
one custom CD could store many more sounds and much higher quality ones
too.

As for actually getting it to speak in 32k ... no, no ideas. And I only
say that because I'm unwilling to say "it can't be done" :-)

alex