 Robotics / 9806
9805  |  9807
Subject:
RCX-IR Tower Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:22:11 GMT

I'd like to implement a Visual Basic program able to communicate with the
RCX. RCX has commands to send and receive messages, but I don't no a way to
send and receive it from a computer program. This way RCX could have an
autonomous program and ask help for a computer for more complex tasks (ex:
using a mapping database for route decision).
I don't want to download a new program neither control the RCX directly due
to limitations of dwonloaded programs and line of vision.

It seens Spirit.ocx doesnt have this functionality, except for downlodable
commands. I know I can send a message with NQC inline parameter, but I'd
prefer to do it inside my program. Besides I must be able to read messages
sent by RCX too. Could it be as simple as writing or sending bytes to the
serial port connected to the IR tower? I didn't try it yet.

Another question: Does someone know a way to use notebooks IR ports instead
of the Lego IR tower to communicate with RCX? I don't think it's possible,
but it would be good.

Mauro Vianna