 Robotics / 9866
Re: RCX-IR Tower Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:39:47 GMT

I'm aware of the commands you mentioned but I'm not sure if they will work
if the RCX moves out of range them comes back.

They will fail if the rcx has to send messages and the tower "sleeps".
The tower can always send messages, but enter into sleep mode after a
few seconds (to the  group : correct me if I'm wrong:-). The rcx can
send message only if the tower is alive. The trick is to send messages
at a regular interval of (i think) maximum 2 seconds.

Although I can read a lot of
info with spirit, I can't interact with a running program in the RCX (eg.
change the variables).

Well, I've made something quite in this field, with my realtime scanner.
You can find info at :
http://users.swing.be/philippe.jadin/mindstorm.htm

The soft running onthe rcx was made with nqc, and the soft on the pc was
made with borland delphi (object pascal for windows) using the
spirit.ocx commands. The nqc soft is changing a "flag" variable, and
when appropriate, the delphi soft is reading them. The trick to know
which variable number to remotely "watch" is to look at the compiled
bytecodes made by nqc.

In fact, with nqc code, you can have any variable name. It is then
converted by nqc into a variable number. You can poll variables using
spirit.ocx. To know which variable name correspond to the variable
number to poll with spirit, you need to look at the compiled code made
by nqc. If I remember correctly, you can do it with rcx command center.

If you have trouble doing this, ask more, maybe someone with more
knowledge will answer better than I could.

Phil