 Robotics / 9785
Re: Motor output multiplexing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 22:24:50 GMT

I had the same problem. I already tried 2 aproaches:

1) One motor "slides" the second one to key positions where its small gear
connects to gears in separate axles. It was not elegant and I had a problem
to control the sliding motor position. It was not precise.

2) My second aproach is to use a sliding axle, similar to the 2-gear car
from Mario Ferrari (invention S2). Again, you have the problem of
controlling the position of the sliding axle. You need lots of gears. It's
still bulky but more flexible and easier than the first solution. I'm still
working on it.

This one is unrealized:

3) A third aproach would be a electrical multiplexer. It will need some
eletronics. Basically this multiplexer should have two inputs and 8 outputs.
One of the inputs could select which output would be active and receive
information from the second input. That's just an idea. I believe somebody
already mentioned that in this list. read a post from Pink Tail at 01/01/00.
He used one output to 8 digital outputs. Use these with control  switches
and you have a multiplexer.

"Simon Jensen-Fellows" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
I have just built a 2 motor to 4 output multiplexer.
(One motor is used to direct the output of the other to
one of four axles. It is easily expandible to 6 outputs)

It works, but it's not very elegant and my feeling is that
it could be done with fewer elements. Does anyone have
pointers to similar robust constructions ?

-Simon