 Robotics / 958
Re: Batteries?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:36:27 GMT

Dominic Hawken writes:
> >Newbie question with apologies if already answered somewhere.
> >
> >Has anyone tried NiMH rechargeables in the RCX?
>
> I have, with no problems so far - although I recall from the manuals that
> they're not recommended. The output voltage is lower than you'd get with
> standard batteries - but the savings are substantial!

(Speculating.)  It may be that the low-battery indicator does not work
with rechargables because of the voltage knee.  Typically with
rechargables the voltage drops precipitously once you run out of
charge.  Lego's concern may be that you'll lose your firmware and
programs too easily.  In a situation like that, it's better to
categorically warn people not to use them, than to qualify the warning
with "unless you don't give a fig if you lose your firmware and
programming".

--
-russ nelson <rn-sig@crynwr.com>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok |   There is good evidence