 Robotics / 9558
Re: Roboarm from Dave Baum's super book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:24:07 GMT

In article <FnKqwG.Cor@lugnet.com>, "Tim Wilkins" <Tim.Wilkins@zurich.com>
wrote:

Brilliant...it was the little half-peg. I was never very good at the "spot the
difference between the two pictures" game. Thanks for writing a great
book....it is so much better than the O'Reilly one. It hit Europe last week !
Maybe you should think about a full colour edition for next print run.
regards
Tim Wilkins

I'm glad you like the book.

Yeah, that half-peg was a problem for at least one of our tech reviewers
(beta test team).  If we do another book I'll probably start using inset
boxes that list how many of each piece per step.  That way if you missed
something you'd be sitting there with a piece in your hand looking for
where it could go.  We considered this for the book, but it would've
pushed our production cycle back about a month, so we punted.  On one hand
I have newfound respect for the illustrators at TLG.  On the other hand,
we had two people trying to put together the entire thing (robots,
writing, 3D models, illustration) while still holding down regular full
time jobs.  Compromises had to be made.  (1)

I agree that color would be better, but I'm not sure it would be worth the
cost.  It also wouldn't solve all the visual problems because so many
pieces are black and grey.  In fact most of the "trouble spots" are in
distinguishing black against black.  We "lightened" the black plastic a
bit during rendering, but perhaps we should've made it even lighter.  This
isn't likely to change in the next print run, however.  Perhaps in a
second revision or in a future book.

Dave Baum

(1)  I hope I don't come across too "defensive" about this.  I'm somewhat
of a perfectionist about certain things, and it bothered me to not have
the tools/resources/time to make things "perfect".

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com